02 February 2009

pregnancy is making me stupider

Case in point.

It's Monday morning, which means I'm the early nurse at work. I'm the one that gets everything set up, gets the coffee made (see my time at Starbucks really did come in handy), spikes the IV bags, etc. I've taken my standard exceptionally long shower and am now racing around because I'm running late. It's 7:45, the dogs are kenneled, I'm presentable and all I've got to do is get on the road to get to work on time.

Where are my car keys?!
I CAN'T FIND MY CAR KEYS!
I can't even find the spare key we keep in a very obvious and accessible place.

I call hubby because he used my car on Friday to haul some stuff to the dump and he should know where my keys are...or at least where the spare key is. He doesn't answer. I leave a pointed message because I'm sure he has my car keys hidden away in his pants pocket somewhere and I'm angry that the spare keys aren't where they're supposed to be. I call 3 more times in the span of 5 minutes. I'm sure he'll understand that the plethora of calls in such a short time period portrays urgency and frustration...he's picked up quite a bit of 'woman speak' lately.

In between stalking hubby, I've been frantically looking in all my coat pockets, in little hiding places, even looking in some of Tre's pants pockets...all to no avail.

He finally calls back. He doesn't have my keys but he knows where the spare keys are. They are outside in the garage in the top of his new workbench. Hmmm. Even though he knows where the spare keys are, he's still on my poopie list because they spare keys weren't where they SHOULD be. I thank him curtly and probably even slide in a jab about the spare key not being in its proper place. Somehow this comforts me.

It's 8:03 and I grab my stuff and race to the car. It's only on the ride in to work that I look down to where my house keys should be ( I always keep them in the console in my car)...but they aren't there and the spare car key doesn't have a spare house key. GREAT!

Now I'm locked out of my house too!

Several minutes later it dawns on me...I realize where my car keys are.
And worse yet, Tre really didn't do anything with them.
It's all on me.

I remember that Hubby and I participated in a much over-due house cleaning on Saturday. His Dad was coming to visit and it seemed like an opportune time to get all the pine needles swept up, the dog hair vacuumed and the shelves dusted. During this organization craze, I decided to put my wallet, ipod and car/house keys in my rarely used purse which was dangling on the side of one of the dining room chairs. Of course I'd remember putting them in such an obvious place!

But I forgot. My hormone overloaded brain forgot. This is monumental people! I've never lost my keys. Never. NEVER EVER. I'm an organized person. In fact I rarely lose anything because I put things in specific places for specific reasons....so I won't forget.

I used to think that pregnancy brain was a myth. Like the Tooth fairy or Lock Ness Monster. Nope. I've become a believer. Someone needs to keep a watchful eye over me...to keep me in line lest I misplace other things. What if it becomes 'normal' for me to lose things? I shudder to think it!

And lastly, how did I get back in my house you ask?

Well, just imagine for a minute, a tired-from-work gal with an ample booty and a smaller than ample dog door at ground level that just happens to be a little muddy. My sincere apologies for the visual I just provided. You can bill me for the therapy! Just know that some things in life should never be witnessed by another human being...and this is definitely one.

Excessive apologies to hubby have been made, I made it to/from work safely and even managed to squeeze my body through the dog door to get back inside the house. All in all, everything's ok.

Pregnancy brain is alive and thriving...

1 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

OK, the doggie door had me laughing outloud! I totally agree that pregnancy brain is true. My continual brain lapse was that I would leave my keys in the deadbolt on the OUTSIDE of the door in our apartment. My hubby or the neighbors had to bring them to me at least 4-5 times. Hang in there! When are you due?