I am in a super grumpy mood today so instead of sharing that negative vibe with all of you ('all of you' being a reference to the 2 people who have actually read this blog)...I have decided to talk about something much more fun and uplifting....BOWLING!
I remember my first time bowling...it was near the end of my freshman year at Milligan (circa 1996) and I although I had been exposed to the 'sport', I was not very well acquainted with it. It seemed fairly simple...roll a ball towards some pins, knock them down and VIOLA...points...victory! Well, my first game I scored a 25...yes, that's for all 10 frames which means that I knocked over an average of 2.5 pins per attempted frame! Such a fine display of athleticism...oh, yeah!
The second time I went bowling was at the West Edmonton Mall (in Edmonton Alberta, Canada)at a snazzy little place called Reds...at least I think it was called Reds...but I'll have to check my journal to make sure! Anyhoo, it was summer of 1997 and a bunch of my Rift buddies and I were all in town for the nuptials of Jon and Shannon (who, by the way, have now been married for almost 11 years and have 4 darling little kiddos! Guess that last sentence just solidifies how old I am getting...grrr). Anyway, I do not remember my score or any other bowling related particulars (although they are probably contained in aforementioned journal that I am too lazy to search for), but I remember having a fun time and have chosen to attribute this to the fact that maybe everyone else bowling was as bad as me?!? Encounter # 2 with bowling...not bad!
The third time I attempted to bowl was after Tre and I began dating. Through Tre I have learned some helpful bowling tidbits...after all, once upon a time, he had his very own bowling ball, bowled in a league and is actually quite competitive about the whole thing, if you want to know the honest truth! Under Tre's tutelage, I have gotten a bit better...not Turkey worthy, but better. Speaking of Turkeys...Tre is the person who introduced me to the TURKEY...yep, evidently when you bowl 3 strikes in a row they call it a turkey? Why, I have yet to discover. But I digress...
Last night, Tre and I went to our local bowling alley with our good buddies Andy and Paige. All of us did quite well and I'm proud to say that in the second game, I bowled a 106! Although it's taken a good decade, I have progressed from a score of 25 to a hearty 106! The attached photo isn't from last night's bowling excursion but it seems to capture the spirit of our bowling nights none-the-less! I guess the Coors Light/Bud Light/ Pabst is to blame for the "spirited" expressions...but maybe it's just bowling fever?
Field Notes: Strangers on a Train
4 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment