I realized that with all the ups and downs that motherhood brings, I really wanted to focus on some of the small, oft overlooked things that make parenting so very rewarding and spiritually renewing for me. I'm trying to enjoy Lelia's infant-hood and relish this significant and yet short-lived season in both our lives. The past 7 months have gone by in the blink of an eye and I can't help but feel a little saddened by this. So, in an effort to document and claim the small moments that mean so much to me, I've decided to do a few short photo essays that can hopefully capture some of these precious times.
In a past life (or at least it feels that way) I used to be a photographer; black & white my preferred medium. I appreciate the simplicity of black & white photos (which is not to say I don't love color photos, I just seem to see things through a black & white filter). I would very much like to reclaim my art, salvage it from neglect. It's been quite a few years since I've seriously invested any time/effort in a craft I used to find such joy in. And if there was ever a time in my life to jump back in, it's now.
So, in addition to documenting Lelia's childhood, I'm trying to re-train my eye to see the world through a lens again. I'm hoping to do different photo essays from time-to-time: from favorite and heart-warming to the challenging and gut-wrenching. We'll see how disciplined I am! ;)
But for now: Bathtime. Enjoy!







3 comments:
Carrie, these photos are fantastic! Sydney went through a several month phase where she loved sink baths, and I loved having her close and at waist level while I cleaned up from dinner. Lelia is SO adorable, and bath pictures just melt me!
On an un-related not--have you ever done family photos? I mean--as a photographer of someone else's family?
Hi Jen!
And yes, sink baths are THE BEST! Lelia loves to splash around and I love the extra incentive to scrub everything down! ;)
As far as photography goes...I used to swap photographing my hairdresser's family in exchange for haircuts. But that was many moons ago and pre-Lelia. My eye is seriously untrained at the moment and badly in need of some disciplined re-learning of all things photography related. Can't believe how much I've forgotten.
And I wanted to say 'Congrats' to you and your family as you embark on your adoption adventure. How amazing! Pray for you guys...that the right little soul will find their way into your home. God is good!
beautiful photos =) your untrained eye won't take long in coming back and your photography was always moving!
Post a Comment